Philip Woodcock – Director
Philip uses his broad maritime and management experience to the advantage of the clients of Wyndward Maritime. The combination of practical experience, and deep knowledge of the industry and a natural curiosity of all aspects of the maritime industry brings many tools to problems solving. Philip’s experience has exposed him to many of the challenges that managers face in operating vessels and he brings this to support the clients of Wyndward Maritime.
- Master Mariner STCW II/2 UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency – 2000
- ISM and ISPS Code Leader Auditor
- ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Auditor
- MSc “Marine Policy” – University of Wales, Cardiff
- HND Nautical Science – Warsash Maritime Academy
- Practical experience
- 16 years onshore management experience: Workships Group, Bermuda Government, Carnival Corporation
- 4 years Supervisory Board experience: Workships Group (Workships Contractors, Rana Works), Regional Offshore Training Centre – Mozambique
- Leadership: Managing Director Workships Group (Workships Contractors, Rana Works, Offshore Beaver)
- 11 years seagoing experience through to Chief Officer on container, Bulk, RORO, LPG and Cruise Vessels.
- Writing Credits
- BC Shipping News
- Western Mariner
- Riviera Maritime Media Ltd – Offshore Shipping Journal, Offshore Wind Journal
- International Marine Contractors Association – Input on various guidance documents
- National Workboat Association – Input on various guidance documents
- Nautical Institute British Columbia Branch Winter Seminar – 2019
- European Dynamic Positioning Conference – 2017
- Renewable UK Health & safety Conference – 2016
- European Wind Energy Association Annual Conference – 2015
- Wyndward Maritime Ltd – Company formed in April 2018 which involved developing a new set of contacts in British Columbia. See “Projects” for the track record of Wyndward Maritime.
- RanaWorks BV – From concept through finding partners, incorporation, obtaining certification and winning the first project, Philip lead the creation of RanaWorks BV, an Inspection, Repair and Maintenance service company providing services to the offshore wind and oil and gas companies.
- Offshore Wind Services – As Operations Director Philip was part of the management team that acquired Offshore Wind Power Marine Services Ltd in 2012, doubled the fleet size, developed and implemented a certified Safety Management System and then divested the fleet to Acta Marine. Operational and Commercial management was retained for a further two years.
- Seafox 6 – Firstly as QHSE Manager Philip oversaw the re-purposing of a 40 year old jack up construction platform into an ABS Classed Mobile Offshore Production Unit for a project developing marginal oil fields in Thailand. As Operations Director, Philip oversaw the daily operations of the Rig including negotiating with the clients and acting as OIM on an interim basis. This unit was subsequently sold to the client.
- Offshore Beaver – Director Philip oversaw the operational aspects of purchasing a four point mooring diving and construction support vessel. This included the pre-purchase inspections, change of Flag and implementation a of Certified Safety Management System. After three years of successful charter operations and completing the Special Survey, Philip negotiated the sale of the vessel into the Norwegian Aquaculture industry.
- Offshore Wind Services – As Operations Director, Philip oversaw the construction of four wind farm service vessels and the acquisition and conversion of a fifth for Offshore Wind Services. This period also saw one vessel sold out of the wind farm industry.
- DSV Providence (Performer) – Assisted a client to purchase the DSV Performer and bring it into management including placing a certified Safety Management System onboard. Oversaw the ship management for the contract period while the client developed their own ship management team.
Philip has a long background in developing, auditing and managing practical management systems in the maritime and offshore service industry.
- ISM and ISPS Codes – Philip has implemented and managed safety and Security management on a wide variety of vessels and Flag states. Highlights include: obtaining a Voluntary Document of Compliance for non-SOLAS wind farm services vessels; achieving Documents of Compliance for The Netherlands, Bahamas, Panama, being a Statutory Auditor for the Government of Bermuda for Safety Management Certificates, Documents of Compliance and International Ship Security Certificates.
- ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management and OHASA 18007:2007 Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems – Philip has lead the implementation of an Integrated Management System of 9001, 14001 and 18001 for RanaWorks and 18001 Management system for Workships Contractors. He has also transitioned a 9001mangement system to the 2015 standards also for Workships. He has also consulted for a publicly listed company on the requirements to transition their integrated management system to the 2015 standards.
Representation, Writing and Marketing
- Dropsafe (Newmar Ltd) – Since 2016 Philip has provided a wide variety of consultancy services to Dropsafe, the market leader in dropped object prevention solutions in the oil and gas industry. These service include: lead generation and introductions into the offshore wind industry, market research and writing a market positioning paper on the offshore wind industry for the CEO and the writing of press releases and focused articles in such industry papers such as the Offshore Wind Journal.
- Guest Editor for Rivierra Maritime Media from 2012 to 2018 – Philip wrote regularly for Offshore Shipping Journal and Offshore Wind Journal on a wide variety of operational, business and safety related topics.
- Chairman Workboat Safety Forum, National Workboat Association – Initiated the Workboat Safety Forum, a cross industry group with the intention of creating transparency and improving safety for the operation of Workboats.
- Member – IMCA Renewables Workgroup, International Marine Contractors Association – represented the position of small workboat operators working within the offshore wind industry, prepared industry guidance documents and spoke on behalf of the group at industry conferences.
- IMCA CMID Inspections – Philip is an accredited vessel inspector (AVI 240) from the International Institute of Marine Surveying and performs General Common Marine Inspection Document audits and Marine Inspections for Small Workboats. He was part of the IMCA workgroup for the developing the MISW document and advocated on behalf of IMCA for its acceptance into the offshore wind industry.
- Ship Sale & Purchase Inspections – On behalf of clients and investors Philip has performed numerous ship inspections in the offshore industry. Philip generally teams up with an experience marine engineer and together they deliver a holistic report covering the technical, operational, safety and market aspects of a target vessel. Inspections have included: DP constructions support vessels, Walk To Work accommodation vessels, jack up and semi-submersible rigs, and offshore and windfarm support vessels.
- Board member – ROTC Mozambique, the only STCW certified safety training centre in Mozambique.
- Management Representative – As Director Philip represented management on the Board of RanaWorks BV and Workships Holdings BV.
Sandra Woodcock-Nekeman – Office Manager
Sandra is a children’s dietician with a background of working the Sophia Children’s Research Hospital in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Since moving to Canada she is working on obtaining her Canadian Registered Dietician Designation. In her spare time she puts her Hotel Management degree to good use managing the administrative side of Wyndward Maritime as well as “Camper in Canada” our small tourism adventure aimed at the Dutch leisure market.
Sasha – Director of Fitness and Social Wellbeing
Sasha is our Golden Retriever puppy who makes sure that we do not lose sight of the harmony needed between work and life.